StopBadware has added two new Sponsoring Partners: longtime global security company ESET, and Automattic, the nifty Web company behind WordPress.com. Ooh-rah! As always, we're excited about the ways we're going to work together to beat badware. We aren't going to wax all security-happy about the new partnerships, though; instead, we'd like to tell you a little bit about how our new Partners are great companies doing cool things for the Web.
Fun facts about ESET:
- Their global headquarters is in a European city whose name rhymes with Pot o' Lava. Yup, it's true.
- One of their claims to fame is that they've never missed a single "in-the-wild" worm or virus...and they also hold the world record for number of Virus Bulletin VB100 awards. Fantastické!
- Back in the proverbial Computer Stone Age, their founders discovered one of the world's first computer viruses and subsequently wrote a program to detect it. Check out more about their history!
Cool stuff you might not know about Automattic:
- They're big open source fans. In fact, they'll tell you themselves that most of their work is available under warm and fuzzy open licenses like the GPL.
- You can actually watch a twinkling map of live WordPress.com activity like posts and comments on their stats page. We recommend zooming in on a random part of their world map and predicting whether the next activity ping will be a like or a comment. Half the afternoon = gone, just like that.
- Automattic employees have the coolest titles we've ever seen. They engineer happiness. They wrangle data, stories, or systems. One even holds the title "Master of Alliteration." And they engineer/wrangle/alliterate from all over the world.
We're proud that all our Partners are not only committed to security and transparency, but also that they do great things for the Web all across the globe. We happily welcome ESET and Automattic to the super security mind meld of StopBadware Partners. Alliterate that.
*For more non-factoid detail, check out ESET's press release.