Blog

A Nightmare Before Christmas

'Twas the night before Christmas, when all thro' the house
Not a sound could be heard, 'cept the click of a mouse;
The browser was open to Facebook, where else?
As friends posted updates about kittens and elves;

The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of smartphones danc'd in their heads,
And my wife at her laptop, and I at my desk,
Had just settled our brains for a much needed rest—
When out of my speakers there arose such a clatter,
I suspended a chat to see what was the matter.

To a shiny new window I shifted my gaze,
But then it was gone, leaving me in a daze.
The glare of the screen and the whir of the drive,
Made me think I was safe, and my PC alive;

When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a dialog box, which just filled me with fear,
With a little old message, so simple and spare,
I knew in a moment it must be malware.

"Your files are hostages, don't start to doubt,
And you'll pay us a ransom to get them back out."
"My Word docs, my e-mails, my photos and Quicken,
appointments and bookmarks and music, all missin'!"

"To Facebook Security, to the search engines too,
I need a solution! Please, someone, come through!"

As soon as it happened, I asked myself why,
And I thought it all through, then I said with a sigh,
"You never did update your browser or Flash,
and you still click on links that offer free cash.
You use anti-virus that's three years too old,
and you click through the warnings, no matter how bold."

But now it was too late to beat up myself,
I needed the help of some friendly elf.
And then in a twinkling, I saw in a post
Just what to do if your files were toast.

As I followed directions, my fingers were crossed,
I just hoped and prayed that all was not lost.
An hour passed, and then it was three,
I rebooted again, and my files all were free!

Embarrassed, I posted my tale on my Wall,
to serve as a warning for friends one and all.
"You're lucky," said one, "some malware is worse."
Lucky or not, this stuff is a curse.

So with that I learned a good lesson or two
about patching my software and thinking things through
before clicking on links that just don't make sense
and backing up files before things get tense.

Now I leave you with this as I turn out my light—
A safe Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

82 responses to

A Nightmare Before Christmas

domingovillalba says:

gracias por la seguridad

adnan aslam says:

wtf is gojng on why the hell i am getting errors saying you are given limited acces what the hellllllllll???? why this fuking error appears every time i login in i can not comment nor can paste any stuff on wall why????? if facebook is getting so lame as creating problems without solution then Mr mark schewanzenburger or whatever i give a damn just fuck off and solve it or i am out !!!!!!

adnan aslam says:

fucking every time you direct me to help centre where there is nothing fucked up or farted about this damned error get senses facebook team what the hell are you doing and who the hell are you people to limit my access when i know my security risks why the hell you trying to be mamma of me by pampering me with your shiityy errors of security risks check your damned system and if you dont want me on social network just fucking blurt out say it loud and clear i wont be again here !!

danihel49@hotmail.fr says:

Désolé , je n'ai aucun virus ni autres de ce genre je possede Kapesky 2012 et je fais des nettoyage manuels ou automatiques tres régulierement !! des qu'il y a un probleme , il se met en route Alors je ne vois absolument pas pourquoi je suis bloqué !!!Bloquez plutôt ceux qui mettent des virus !!
Merci de bien vouloir rétablir mes applications SVP et mes messages !!
MERCI à VOUS

fede.ok@hotmail.com says:

se me cerro mi pagina de facebook

Suzanne Wargo says:

Blocked account due to malware? If I got it I got it from Facebook. My Norton is up to date. What gives? I am upset that I am blocked from my account.

errol says:

magnifico.......☺

sol2kit21@gmail.com says:

why am i getting the message of limited wall messages that i might have a malware when my security says all clear an yes i have ran it a couple of times whats up i play games and its hard to progress if people can't see what your doing HELP!!!

misskitty5556@c... says:

shiela says:

For security reasons your account is temporarily locked

Your computer appears to be infected with a malware.

I CANNOT OPEN MY ACCOUNT..WHAT SHALL I DO..?

SHERICA_1101@YA... says:

For security reasons your account is temporarily locked Your computer appears to be infected with a malware. I CANNOT OPEN MY ACCOUNT..WHAT SHALL I DO..?

d51956@charter.net says:

damn it.....I'm so sick of getting the Blocked account message too!!!!! My Norton too is up to date......so give me back my right to post..NOW!

karla moffett says:

my account say's i have malware but my virus scan say's i have no threats still cannot post anything what is going on how can i fix this

karla moffett-k... says:

jody green says:

I keep getting some guys account that he added to my account now for a while I tried to contact facebook about this they won't help me to fix this problem I had emailed the gut who says his account is named jasonnjodygreen I'm jody green then to my suprise someone else mixed up my account so now its hacked up so bad untill it looks like I have three things crossing up my account but I ask kindly for some one to help me fix this problem once and for all the ironic thing is I can't even deactivate either account I mean the only one I signed up for.bmwcarrmann@yahoo.com the real jody green.

Shane Rodrigue says:

Shane Rodrigue says:

Gabriela says:

This person send me on the name Charles Helton W on my yahoo mail to invite me at his face book photos then a link so i press the link it appear exatly same as face but asking log in again? that do not make me feel safe so I just log off imediatly. I recognice that was a jaquer. I seen that at news.
I just need to report it :it appear
charleswc at yahoo or Charles Helton
at the pic shows a kitty in the basket .when he log in again I ask him if he send it to me he answer yes he did,he add it to please click in the link and follow the instruccions. I answer yes, but I never did.

antiquemama5589... says:

Wow You did a great job....with your Christmas Tale. Merry Christmas also and i have to pass this on . If allowable.?

I just went through almost everything you described....the loud noise coming through my laptop was crazy/

Found out I had been being tracked for about a yr and 1/2....creepy....just by backtracking on post....and comments from others.

So Thanks for such a Cute Merry Reminder

MartÃn says:

Desde el dÃa 25 de diciembrede este año,
aparece un recuadro bastante grande y en todas mis paginas de facebook al pie de pagina, que dice: tienes un mensaje sin leer. Parece que fuera un banner de publicidad maliciosa.
Pido que mi cuenta sea más segura para mi bien y el de mis contactos

Gracias

owen.w@hotmail.com says:

My account say's I have malware, my norton scans came up clean. What is going on? Another FB screw-up. Give me pack my posts.

daisydaily24@gm... says:

I cannot post or message because of malware...I ran my anti-virus...so what now? Could i get some answers PLEASE!!!!

MrScrappyDoo says:

I have two e-mail adresse's and one is for buisness only,not face book. How does some one on face book who i only visited start sending me XX mail. If any thing this stuff should go the e-mail adress every one alse gets on face book.

LUNA says:

KISIERA KE SOLO MI AMIGO VEA MI PERFIL Y FOTOS ENLACES Y NADIE MAS

stell_ag_liszcz... says:

what did i do wrong?to stop me posting always try to play fair:)

stell_ag_liszcz... says:

my virus protection said alls clear not any threats ..anywhere

Verena Lahn says:

hello, this is my fb-account.since 3 days i get always downloads from youtube.i think its a spam.i should make a wingame and so on.i cannot see my account because of this reloadings.if i see my fb-pinnwall and photos and so always this downloadings come from a wingame to me.i hate this.please help me thanks much.i want finish this problem.my e-mail is: verena.lahn@gmail.com

verena.lahn@gma... says:

hello, since 3 days i get always a spam download on my fb-account.if i want see my pinnwall and so on always this spam from a wingame youtube come.what can i do? i want finish this problem.i hate this.please can you help me thanks a lot.greetings, verena lahn

harish says:

mere acount me vvirse he

Joyce Caetano says:

You have blocked my account from being able to post for a few days, saying I have malware. I have ran all the checks and my computer is clear. No viruses or malware, anything. I don't understand what the problem is.
I want to be able to talk to my friends and wish them happy birthday the works and you have me stopped on something that I do not have. I don't understand the problem. If it's been hacked than let me know that, don't block me....I want to be able to use my account....

rafael chiri.. says:

como puedo dejar de usar la nueva version de perfil??...no quiero la configuracion de biografia ni nada de eso nuevo que es mas complicado de usar...

lynn mccosh says:

I can't send anything from my facebook

Pages